I try to be helpful.
So when Daphne from Singapore saying she wanted to make Italian meringue buttercream for her vegan friends, and would Angel Food meringue mix do the trick, I scurried off to the kitchen to give it a whirl. Or should I say, a whisk.
And I am very grateful I did!
The resulting recipe is heart-meltingly gorgeous. It's firm enough to pipe, and not as sweet or as fatty as regular buttercream.
Go on, give it a whisk.
VEGAN MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 1/4 cup water, divided
1 tablespoon meringue A powder (from the Angel Food vegan meringue mix)
2 1/2 teaspoons meringue B powder (from the Angel Food vegan meringue mix)
2 tablespoons Instant Clear Jel
3/4 cup dairy-free margarine
1 - 2 teaspoons liquid flavouring of your choice (2 tablespoons instant coffee powder is delicious too)
1. Mix the sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. 2. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
3. Allow to simmer (no need to stir now) until it reaches 121 celsius (250 farenheit).
4. Turn the heat off and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
5. Put 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon meringue A in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment.
6. Whisk until thick and fluffy, scraping down the sides with a spatula as necessary.
7. With the mixer running, pour the hot syrup slowly into the fluffy mix in the bowl.8. Add the flavouring. Continue mixing until it is fluffy and pale. (This could take 10 to 15 minutes.)
9. Mix the ICJ and meringue B in a small bowl, sprinkle them over the mixture in the bowl, and quickly whisk again (before it has time to form lumps!).
10. Finally, add the margarine and whip again until it is all blended and fluffy.
Please note this is still a work in progress. I've never made or tasted 'real' meringue buttercream, so do let me know if you can think of improvements to this recipe!